Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Mon March 12, 2012
Al-Qaida Leader Eyes Opportunities In Syria
Counterterrorism officials say al-Qaida's leader, Ayman al-Zawahiri, has much at stake in Syria. He has credibility in the region among jihadis because of his long battle against Egypt's government and if he can somehow take credit for the fall of Syria's president, it might rejuvenate al-Qaida. Officials say Zawahiri is already positioning himself with a video that calls on jihadis to travel to Syria.