Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Sun July 15, 2012
$46M budget proposed for Baton Rouge library
The proposed $46 million 2013 budget for the East Baton Rouge Parish library system includes money for 12 new employees, a tracking system for books and a new building.
The Advocate reports (http://bit.ly/NlnMjX) the proposal was given to the Library Board of Control earlier this week.
The expenditures are about $12 million more than what is budgeted in 2012. Several are one-time expenses to upgrade facilities and technology, library officials said.
The budget includes $1.8 million for a new electronic tagging system for books and other materials, said Mary Stein, the library system's co-director.
The new system would replace the barcodes now affixed to books, Stein said.