Most Active Stories
- Le Show For April 13, 2014
- Sarah Vowell Riffs On Satchmo, 'The Incredibles' And Andrew Jackson
- Barataria Bay, 4 Years After The Deepwater Horizon Disaster
- The Listening Post Asks: Should Sex Education Be Required In Louisiana Public Schools?
- Richard Campanella Cityscapes: New Orleans' Tallest, Strangest, Forgotten Building
Jefferson Parish Schools
Sun July 15, 2012
$404M school budget proposed in Jefferson
Jefferson Parish school officials are proposing a $404 million budget for 2012-2013.
The Times-Picayune reports the proposal takes into account recent moves to close schools and cut staff to offset rising costs.
The board plans a public hearing on the budget July 25 at Alfred Bonnabel Magnet Academy High in Kenner.
The largest slice of the budget in in employee compensation for employees — more than $329 million.
School consolidation and streamlining of central administration reduced the number of jobs in the district by 153 and saved $4.8 million in salaries, officials say.