Conductor and pianist Daniel Barenboim (center) brought members of his West-Eastern Divan Orchestra (including his son Michael Barenboim, left, and Kinan Azmeh) to the intimate spaces of Manhattan's Le Poisson Rouge.
Credit Ryan Muir for NPR
NPR Music, WQXR and (Le) Poisson Rouge host an intimate evening of music that spans both great Western and Middle Eastern music with members of an inspiring orchestra, led by one of classical music's most eminent artists.
While the professionals used their decades of investment knowledge and traditional stock-picking methods, the cat selected stocks by throwing his favourite toy mouse on a grid of numbers allocated to different companies.
Originally published on Mon January 14, 2013 12:24 pm
A few weeks ago, a few of us headed over to the Supreme Court to retrieve a suitcase. It belonged to Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, and it contained, effectively, her family history in photographs. We sat in the kitchen in her chambers over her lunch break. She ate a bowl of soup and told us stories about the photos.
Some six months after Syria's rebels tried to storm the country's largest city, they can claim the eastern part of Aleppo and perhaps 60 percent overall. In the west, the government army has the remaining 40 percent of the city.
The line dividing these two areas is supposedly the front line in Aleppo's war. But lately the front has gone cold, as people here say in Arabic.
Originally published on Thu January 17, 2013 3:12 pm
Zach Sayne was 25 when he died earlier this month at the place that had been his home for 15 years — a children's nursing home in Alabama.
But that was too far away, 200 miles too far, for his mother in Georgia. Nola Sayne was trying to bring him back, closer to her home. The story of why she couldn't reveals the bureaucratic traps, underfunding and lack of choices that plague state Medicaid programs.
Originally published on Wed January 16, 2013 2:48 pm
How evil is sugar? That's long been a hard question for researchers to answer. Most of the studies about sugar's health effects to date have been too small, too short-term, or too poorly designed to nail it one way or another.
Originally published on Wed January 16, 2013 2:09 pm
At a White House event with children who wrote him letters after the Dec. 14 school shooting in Newtown, Conn., President Obama today said the nation cannot wait any longer to do what can be done to reduce gun violence.
Finally today, in less than a week the country will celebrate President Obama's second term with a slew of inaugural events. There is a swearing in, a parade, breakfasts, lunches, and of course the balls. And there are many of them, but we want to tell you about one of them. It is the Native Nations Inaugural Ball. Native Americans from around the country will be coming in to participate.