The school bus company that transports most public school students in New Orleans has laid off its drivers in a dispute over $7.2 million in unpaid bills.
Blaine Krage, a spokesman for Warrenville, Ill.-based Durham School Services, told The Times-Picayune Tuesday that the company has sent termination letters to 142 drivers and 55 bus monitors telling them "we will not need their services this upcoming school year."
In a move to stop charter schools from expelling students too frequently, the state agency running most of New Orleans' public schools has issued new guidelines on what constitutes the kind of behavior that will get a student thrown out.
FARMERVILLE, La. — Union Parish Schools Superintendent George Cannon says the district is struggling financially for the current fiscal year after cuts planned for the past year apparently didn't happen.
Cannon said some of last year's planned $1.6 million in cuts were not carried out as planned.
The state education department has received more than 10,000 applications for Louisiana's statewide voucher program set to start in August that will use taxpayer money to send students to private and parochial schools.
Superintendent of Education John White announced the applicant numbers Wednesday.
As many as 2,000 of the applicants are in an existing New Orleans voucher program. The others will be vying for slots available to new students under the statewide program pushed by Gov. Bobby Jindal.
The St. John the Baptist Parish School Board has appointed Assistant Superintendent Herbert Smith to the position of interim superintendent.
The Times-Picayune reports (http://bit.ly/LCUuQ3) Smith will serve as the temporary replacement for Superintendent Courtney Millet, who announced last week that she would be retiring from her post at the end of this week.
Smith, whose appointment was approved unanimously at Monday's special meeting, has been an educator in the district for more than 40 years and assistant superintendent for about 13.
AMITE — The Tangipahoa Parish school officials are exploring ways to expand virtual learning opportunities in grades 6-12, but some board members are concerned about the program's ability to meet the needs of at-risk students.
Chief Academic Officer Melissa Stilley tells The Advocate (http://bit.ly/LPNZSY ) implementing a virtual learning program would allow the district to provide more opportunities for learning while addressing the system's needs, including saving money.
BATON ROUGE — Louisiana's Department of Education says the state's annual dropout rate has fallen for three years in a row. A department news release says the percentage of dropouts in seventh- through 12th grades decreased from 3.5 in 2009-2010 to 3.1 in 2010-2011. That means 1,100 more students chose to stay in school.
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Education officials say most New Orleans students who took part in the state-run school system's new single application enrollment system were assigned to one of their top three school choices.
The Louisiana Recovery School District said Wednesday that 84 percent of applicants entering kindergarten or high school got one of their top three choices.