NOPD

New Orleans now has a permanent police chief.

Mayor Mitch Landrieu announced that interim Superintendent Michael Harrison officially has the top job.

Landrieu made the announcement at an Algiers event marking the Night Out Against Crime.

Harrison was promoted in August when Superintendent Ronal Serpas retired. Landrieu said at that time that Harrison would likely get the job permanently.

Harrison is a 23-year veteran of the force. He had most recently been district commander of the 7th District.

nola.agent / Flickr

After seven years without a raise, New Orleans police officers should be given a 20 percent across-the-board pay hike, according to a staff recommendation to the Civil Service Commission. The staff report was seven months in the making.  

The Lens reports that New Orleans Inspector General Ed Quatrevaux sees a big flaw in the analysis — it doesn’t factor in pension costs.

Sloane Kelley / Flickr

New Orleans police say a third person believed to be linked to the weekend shooting of a police officer at a sandwich shop has been taken into custody.

Police said 26-year-old James Wilson surrendered to Plaquemines Parish authorities on Monday and was transferred to New Orleans custody for questioning.

Two others who police say were suspects in the shooting were found in Gretna hours after the Sunday incident. One of them was dead. The other was suffering from a gunshot wound. He was booked with attempted first-degree murder.

New Orleans police have arrested a man suspected of being involved in the shooting of an officer early Sunday morning.

Police say 34-year-old Cornelius Barthelemy was found shot once in the torso in a Ford Expedition in Gretna about 8 a.m. yesterday, along with an unidentified dead man.

They say that while Barthelemy was being treated at a hospital, he told police he was involved in the shooting.

He says he was one of three men shown in surveillance video of the shooting of 44-year-old Officer Jonathan Smith around 1:40 a.m. Sunday at a New Orleans restaurant.

New Orleans police have arrested six people in connection with a shooting that killed an 11-year-old girl last year.

Police say all six suspects have been linked to gangs.

Arabian Gayles was shot to death when someone opened fire on her New Orleans home early on the morning of September 2 last year. Another 11-year-old girl and a 38-year-old man were wounded.

New Orleans police chief Michael Harrison and District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro announced the six indictments yesterday.

Kate Richardson / WWNO

On Tuesday morning interim police superintendent Michael Harrison welcomed the latest class of New Orleans Police Department recruits on their first day of training at the police academy. There are 32 recruits in this class. Twenty-two of the cadets are from the New Orleans metro area and seven are from out of state. The class is expected to graduate early next year. 

The New Orleans Inspector General says police are underreporting robberies. The numbers are given to the FBI for its national Uniform Crime Report.

New Orleans is planning to use civilian officers to patrol the French Quarter.

It’s part of a security plan called NOLA PATROL.

The unarmed civilians would handle non-emergency matters. The plan aims to give regular officers the time and ability to better handle serious crimes.

Funding comes from a hotel tax. The plan needs City Council approval.

State police have temporarily assigned 50 officers to the French Quarter, Faubourg Marigny and Bywater in response to the Bourbon Street shooting.

The agency is planning to withdraw them after Labor Day.

New Orleans is still reeling from another spate of violence last weekend, when five people were killed by gunfire and 11 wounded, including two toddlers. The city has launched high-profile campaigns to address gun violence, but a big part of the problem is an acute shortage of police.

Karen Rogers lives in the lower 9th Ward, where a recent drive-by shooting left two people dead and several more wounded. Police say it was drug-related.

"This is not the first time [I've heard gunshots]," says Rogers. "This is the first time to actually see people murdered and shot."

A third man and a woman have been arrested in connection with a drive-by shooting in the Lower 9th Ward that killed two people and injured five.

Two boys and their mother were among the wounded.

New Orleans police say 23-year-old Joseph Nelson III is accused of being one of two gunmen who fired into a group on Aug. 10. Police say 25-year-old Ashley Shorts allegedly helped one of those two avoid detection.

Nelson was booked yesterday with two counts of first-degree murder and five of attempted first-degree murder.

Pages