New Orleans police say a new strategy that involves undercover officers buying drugs from dealers led to the arrest of a 32-year-old murder suspect.
Police say they arrested Burnell Allen on Wednesday on a charge of second-degree murder. Allen is accused of gunning down 21-year-old Lonnie Johnson on June 9.
Officers conducted a drug buy-bust on Tuesday in the same area where the murder took place. Detectives say they got enough information about Allen to arrest him after interviewing people detained in the drug buy-bust.
Officials at the Lafayette Parish Coroner's office say the body believed to be Mickey Shunick is in such an advanced stage of decay they had to send it to face identification expert at Louisiana State University.
Keith Talamo, chief medicolegal investigator at the coroner's office, said Wednesday Mary Manhein at the LSU FACES Laboratory will be handling the investigation of the body. Police found it buried at a cemetery about 100 yards off of La. Highway 10.
Talamo said it will be 24-48 hours before they will be able to identify the remains.
New Orleans police say recently received DNA evidence links a rape in 2000 and a sexual assault and killing in 1992.
They got a description last week from the woman who was raped in 2000. A police artist used it for a computer-created composite, then sketched what the man may look like now. Police released the two drawings in hope that people can help them identify the man.
The killing was that of 20-year-old Jennifer Altemeier, who was strangled on March 3 — Mardi Gras — 1992.
Attorneys for Angola 5 defendant David Mathis have persuaded a judge to allow them to use a jailhouse confession they say would show jurors their client had no intent to kill a prison security officer in 1999.
Mathis faces a first-degree murder trial in the stabbing and beating death of Capt. David C. Knapps.
The Advocate reports jury selection is set to begin Sept. 24 in Covington, where juries were chosen last year for three of Mathis' codefendants. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.
We turn now to another story that's making headlines for all the wrong reasons. It's been a bloody year in the Windy City. More than 250 people have reportedly been murdered so far this year in Chicago. That number is up about 38 percent from the same time last year, and now people are asking just what Mayor Rahm Emanuel is doing about it.
He faced reporters yesterday and said some of the old plans to stop violence weren't working now.