New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin has announced budget cuts he says are to the "bare bones." He said next year's budget approved by the City Council gave him no choice but to slash spending.
Mayor Nagin said City Hall and other offices will be closed on Fridays. Police will have to make do with the amount of fuel it used at levels set last year. City workers will be paying more money for reduced health care.
New Orleans, La. – Mayor Ray Nagin is in the final months of the two-term limit set for the office. Democrat and Republican candidates to be his replacement will face off in a primary February 6th, with the runoff a month later. Qualifying for the post is set for Wednesday through Friday of this week. So far about 10 people have announced intentions to run. City Council seats will also be on the ballot, along with the first citywide assessor for New Orleans and the sheriff. For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming