city council

The New Orleans City Council has rejected a 25-foot height waiver sought by a developer who wants to build an apartment building in Faubourg Marigny.

The Times-Picayune reports developer Sean Cummings said the decision "kills the project."

Without the ability to build the modernistic, six-story building to a height of 75 feet, he said the $20 million project isn't viable.

The council rejected the waiver on a unanimous vote.

The New Orleans City Council has appointed attorney Ernest "Freddie" Charbonnet as the interim replacement for the District E seat vacated last week when Jon Johnson abruptly resigned after pleading guilty to federal corruption charges.

Charbonnet is a former assistant city attorney now in private practice. The Times-Picayune reports that he received votes from the council's four white members Thursday. Its two black members voted against the appointment.

New Orleans City Council

A New Orleans city councilman is resigning his office after pleading guilty to corruption. Federal charges link Hurricane Katrina relief to the politician’s failed-campaign fund.

Jon Johnson pleads guilty in Katrina fraud

Jul 18, 2012

A New Orleans city councilman pleaded guilty Wednesday to a federal criminal charge of misusing federal money intended to help a nonprofit organization after Hurricane Katrina and diverting some of it to one of his political campaigns.

Jon Johnson, who is 63, faces up to 5 years imprisonment and a $250,000 fine.

U.S. District Judge Lance Africk set sentencing for Oct. 25.

Johnson said he will resign from his seat on the council.

New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu, beginning his third year in office, is set to give his annual state-of-the-city address.

Tuesday afternoon's speech was scheduled to be delivered at the Mahalia Jackson Theater.

The New Orleans City Council has approved an 8 p.m. weekend curfew for 16-year-olds and those younger in the French Quarter and in the area around Frenchmen Street in the Faubourg Marigny.

The move comes as officials try to curb shootings involving minors. Mayor Mitch Landrieu says he supports the move.

New Noise Ordinance Drafted

Dec 8, 2011

City Councilwoman Kristen Gisleson-Palmer is floating a new noise ordinance for the city of New Orleans. And, while the final draft is not expected to come up for a vote until sometime early next year, the draft version already has debate among some French Quarter residents and purveyors of the city's musical culture.

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin is reviewing the budget approved after a 12-hour City Council session. Whether he signs it isn't clear. The mayor wanted a tax increase to fill a $24 million budget shortfall. The council instead plugged much of the deficit with the city's disaster loans. Nagin calls the tactic a "financial train wreck."

The council has control of about half the $1.1 billion budget. Federal and state grants make up the rest.

Pages