NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Federal prosecutors say a 41-year-old businessman who moved to New Orleans from Georgia after the catastrophic BP oil spill in 2010 has been charged with defrauding a compensation fund set up for victims.
The Justice Department says Dwayne Smith was charged last week on one count of mail fraud.
U.S. Attorney Jim Letten alleges Smith moved to New Orleans four months after the Deepwater Horizon explosion and set up a business called D&D Designs.
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A federal judge has pushed back the start of a civil trial for claims against BP PLC and other companies involved in the 2010 Gulf oil spill. The judge on Thursday set a date of Jan. 14, 2013. The litigation centers on the oil spill that began in April 2010 from BP's Macondo well.
A man facing the first criminal charges stemming from the BP oil spill has pleaded not guilty to obstructing justice. Federal authorities say he may have been planning to leave the United States permanently.
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A federal judge in New Orleans has preliminarily approved a proposed class-action settlement that would resolve billions of dollars in claims against BP over the 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier's ruling Wednesday allows the settlement process to proceed, but he will hold a "fairness hearing" later this year before deciding whether to give his final approval.
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — The Justice Department is urging a federal judge to set a new trial date for this summer for government claims against BP over the 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. BP has asked the judge to set a January 2013 trial date.
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — By arresting a former BP engineer, federal prosecutors are showing their hand in the Gulf oil spill case. They have been probing whether BP PLC and its employees broke the law by intentionally lowballing how much oil was spewing from its out-of-control well. The arrest came two years and four days after the drilling-rig explosion.
A former BP engineer is the first person facing criminal charges stemming from the oil spill two years ago in the Gulf of Mexico. Allegations center on deleted text messages.
Former BP engineer Kurt Mix of Katy, Texas, is facing two counts of obstruction of justice. He’s accused of deleting 200 text messages exchanged with a company supervisor. Prosecutors say Mix was discussing internal information about failing efforts to cap the gushing underwater well.
Originally published on Tue April 24, 2012 1:31 pm
"The first criminal charges in connection with the BP oil spill have been filed against a former BP engineer named Kurt Mix," NPR's Carrie Johnson reports exclusively.
Carrie just told our Newscast unit that Mix has been charged with obstruction of justice for allegedly deleting text messages after the spill. The texts were related to the amount of oil gushing into the Gulf. Mix will make his first appearence in court today.
April 20th marked the two-year anniversary of BP’s Macondo Well explosion, which set off one of the worst oil spills in our nation’s history, causing extensive damage to marine and wildlife habitats, and to the coastal communities which depend upon them. The full impacts of the disaster are still unfolding, but in Shell Beach, Louisiana, there are signs of how marine life is reacting to the oil and the dispersants which flooded their waters two years ago.
Eve Abrams visited Campo’s Marina, as boats needing gas, ice and bait pulled in and out along the bayou.