Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Crescent City Connection
Tue March 19, 2013
YLC Rallies Online Drive to Resume Crescent City Connection Bridge Lighting
A New Orleans non-profit that led the drive to illuminate the Crescent City Connection back in the 1980s is gathering support for getting the decorative lights turned back on. The Young Leadership Council is turning to Facebook for help.
The YLC has created a Facebook page called “Save the Lights.” It’s asking people to “like” the page as a show of regional support.
The lights went out last Friday, part of an ongoing battle over bridge tolls. But YLC spokesman Curry Smith says the group is not taking a position in the political campaigning.
“That bridge is really kind of a symbol or an iconic part of our cityscape. And when you look at where New Orleans is and where we’re going — we’re a city on the rise in a lot of ways. And a city with such a bright future really does deserve to have a bright skyline.”
Smith says the lighting was switched on before the tolls were put in place. But the state Department of Transportation claims it is not responsible for decorative lighting. The YLC says it’s willing to fund the lights while a permanent solution is found.
Voters approved a toll extension by a narrow margin, but it was overturned in court. The issue will be back on the ballot May 4.