Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Machete-Wielding Man Attacks TSA Agents At Louis Armstrong Airport, Is Shot By Police
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
Crescent City Connection
Tue March 19, 2013
YLC Rallies Online Drive to Resume Crescent City Connection Bridge Lighting
A New Orleans non-profit that led the drive to illuminate the Crescent City Connection back in the 1980s is gathering support for getting the decorative lights turned back on. The Young Leadership Council is turning to Facebook for help.
The YLC has created a Facebook page called “Save the Lights.” It’s asking people to “like” the page as a show of regional support.
The lights went out last Friday, part of an ongoing battle over bridge tolls. But YLC spokesman Curry Smith says the group is not taking a position in the political campaigning.
“That bridge is really kind of a symbol or an iconic part of our cityscape. And when you look at where New Orleans is and where we’re going — we’re a city on the rise in a lot of ways. And a city with such a bright future really does deserve to have a bright skyline.”
Smith says the lighting was switched on before the tolls were put in place. But the state Department of Transportation claims it is not responsible for decorative lighting. The YLC says it’s willing to fund the lights while a permanent solution is found.
Voters approved a toll extension by a narrow margin, but it was overturned in court. The issue will be back on the ballot May 4.