Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Tue February 19, 2013
WrestleMania Coming to New Orleans Next Year
New Orleans is getting another major event. World Wrestling Entertainment is bringing its 30th “WrestleMania” show to the Superdome next year.
The WWE’s biggest stars — John Cena and Duane “The Rock” Johnson — were on hand to announce WrestMania’s show next year on April 6. The show is expected to fill the Superdome and draw tens of thousands of people to the city. WWE Chairman Vince McMahon says it’s quite a spectacle.
“It’s a rock concert. It’s a soap opera. It’s all rolled into one," McMahon said. "Every form of entertainment, every form of sport all rolled into one. That’s what WrestleMania is.”
New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu seemed to enjoy the glitzy press conference, but said the show means real money.
“We are in the business of sports entertainment. I don’t think there’s any city in America that does it better than us, and this is one of the premiere events," Landrieu said. "When they did this last year they anticipated that the economic impact was over $100 million.”
In addition to the pay-per-view show at the Superdome, there will be four days of events throughout the city.