Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Machete-Wielding Man Attacks TSA Agents At Louis Armstrong Airport, Is Shot By Police
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
All Songs Considered
Mon November 5, 2012
Win Or Lose: Your Election Night Theme Song
Originally published on Sat November 3, 2012 12:13 pm
It's been a long presidential election season, but it's almost over, and even if we don't know who's going to win, the end is in sight.
Let's pretend it's Tuesday night and you're on the couch following the returns, maybe clutching a drink or a loved one with your fingers crossed.
The big announcement comes.
There are two scenarios:
1. Your candidate for president wins! What song are you going to crank up?
2. Your candidate for president loses. What song will get you through it?
If my guy wins, I'll crank up "Celebration Day" by Led Zeppelin:
My, my, my, I'm so happy,
I'm gonna join the band,
We are gonna sing and dance in celebration,
We are in the promised land.
If my guy loses, I'll reach for "All Things Must Pass" by George Harrison:
Now the darkness only stays the night-time
In the morning it will fade away
Daylight is good at arriving at the right time
Its not always going to be this grey
All things must pass
All things must pass away
Of course, there's a third scenario: The election's too close to call and drags on for weeks, in which case I'll have to reach for for more than just a shot of the funniest guy ever to make music, Spike Jones. "Clang, clang, who cares a dang?"
What's the difference when you're on a spree?
Over the teeth, behind the gums,
Look out stomach here she comes
Hi! Have another drink on me
How about you?