Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Song Of The Day
Fri May 4, 2012
Will Sexton: From The Beatles To Buddy Holly
Originally published on Mon May 7, 2012 12:16 pm
Like Jimmie Vaughan, Austin's Will Sexton will likely experience few press mentions that don't reference his more famous brother, in this case Charlie (who happens to play with Bob Dylan). Also like Vaughan, Will Sexton has earned plenty of respect for his own guitar work, along with his singing, songwriting and production.
Will Sexton has also made an incredible comeback from a 2010 stroke, which prevented him from promoting an album he'd just recorded, Move the Balance. So now he's making up for lost time with a re-release, and it remains a fine collection of melodies reflecting his Beatles-meet-Buddy Holly sensibilities, which click undeniably in "For Always."
A hip-shaking nod to rockabilly and Tex-Mex that also evokes Ricky Nelson and Texas Tornados, the song positively jumps with honky-tonk piano, handclaps and harmonies (contributed by Sexton's girlfriend, Charlie Faye). It's pure fun, right down to the Jerry Lee Lewis-conjuring keyboard flourish at the end.