Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Mon July 16, 2012
White Castle ferry may shut down permanently
The ferry that carries passengers across the Mississippi from White Castle to Carville ferry has been temporarily docked since June due to a mechanical malfunction, but state transportation officials say it will be shut down permanently by year's end to save $800,000 annually.
It is a plan that U.S. Rep. Cedric Richmond hopes the state will reconsider. Richmond has asked Gov. Bobby Jindal to reconsider his proposal to shut down the White Castle and Reserve-Edgard ferries.
The Advocate reports (http://bit.ly/OIRzk3) that Richmond, a New Orleans Democrat, said the shutdown would affect residents and businesses and could kill future business investments.