Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
This Is NPR
Fri May 25, 2012
What's Cookin' at NPR for Memorial Day Weekend?
Originally published on Tue October 16, 2012 12:28 pm
Just like the rest of the country, NPR staff is getting ready to fire up their grills and lather on the SPF for Memorial Day weekend. We asked some of our colleagues, who are known around the office for their culinary prowess, to share their favorite summertime recipes. Turns out Susan Stamberg isn't the only one with a recipe up her sleeve in this building (and that we have a bit of a sweet tooth).
Even though DC is plenty tropical in the summer months, we aren't lucky enough to grow papayas outside of greenhouses. This light dessert is pretty, refreshing, and a little out of the ordinary – worth tracking down the fruit it requires. There's no more relaxing end to a hot summer weekend than sitting on our back patio while listening to Ed Walker's The Big Broadcast and eating a bowl of this sorbet. - Kim
The filling is adapted from Epicurious.com, which posted it from Bon Appetit (April 1997). I have my own recipe for the crust which I came to via some tasty trial and error.