Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
This Is NPR
Fri May 25, 2012
What's Cookin' at NPR for Memorial Day Weekend?
Originally published on Tue October 16, 2012 12:28 pm
Just like the rest of the country, NPR staff is getting ready to fire up their grills and lather on the SPF for Memorial Day weekend. We asked some of our colleagues, who are known around the office for their culinary prowess, to share their favorite summertime recipes. Turns out Susan Stamberg isn't the only one with a recipe up her sleeve in this building (and that we have a bit of a sweet tooth).
Even though DC is plenty tropical in the summer months, we aren't lucky enough to grow papayas outside of greenhouses. This light dessert is pretty, refreshing, and a little out of the ordinary – worth tracking down the fruit it requires. There's no more relaxing end to a hot summer weekend than sitting on our back patio while listening to Ed Walker's The Big Broadcast and eating a bowl of this sorbet. - Kim
The filling is adapted from Epicurious.com, which posted it from Bon Appetit (April 1997). I have my own recipe for the crust which I came to via some tasty trial and error.