Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Tue January 29, 2013
Westminster Dog Show Welcomes Two New Breeds
Originally published on Mon January 28, 2013 5:35 pm
Two weeks before the big day, the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show introduced two new breeds making their debut among the 187 that will be shown at the 137th event.
The AP was on hand for the unveiling, where event organizers showed off a treeing Walker coonhound, a beagle-looking hunter that "gets its name for the way it chases raccoons up trees," and the more-well-known Russell terriers.
The AP sets the scene at the New York hotel where the club introduced the new breeds:
"With no raccoons in sight, the coonhounds started to sniff out their competition. They looked over the Russell terriers, while also baying at each other and taking a few nips at their squeaky toy.
T"he Russell terrier is often referred to as a Jack Russell terrier, similar to the dog Eddie popularized on the television show 'Frasier' The taller Parson Russell — with a body more square than the Russell terrier — already is a part of Westminster."
Want more detail? Here's some video of the event: