Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Sat March 2, 2013
Weekly Claims for Unemployment Insurance Rise
First-time claims for unemployment insurance in Louisiana for the week ending Feb. 23, increased from the previous week's total.
The state labor department figures released Friday show the initial claims increased to 2,918 from the previous week's total of 2,426. Initial claims were below the comparable week a year earlier at 2,664.
The four-week moving average, which is a less volatile measure of claims, increased to 2,825 from the previous week's total of 2,821.
Continued unemployment claims claimed for the week ending Feb 23 decreased to 28,501, compared to the previous week's total of 29,100. The four-week moving average for such claims decrease to 29,626 from the previous week's average of 30,433.