Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
Mon January 14, 2013
Weekly Claims for Unemployment Insurance Rise
First-time claims for unemployment insurance in Louisiana for the week ending Jan. 5, increased from the previous week's total.
The state labor department figures released Friday show the initial claims increased to 3,253 from the previous week's total of 2,505. Initial claims were below the comparable week a year earlier at 4,372.
The four-week moving average, which is a less volatile measure of claims, decreased to 3,196 from the previous week's total of 3,262.
Continued unemployment claims claimed for the week ending Jan. 5 increased to 32,001, compared to the previous week's total of 31,009. The four-week moving average for such claims increased to 31,494 from the previous week's average of 31,315.