Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
Fri August 31, 2012
Weekly claims for unemployment insurance rise
First-time claims for unemployment insurance in Louisiana for the week ending Aug. 25, increased from the previous week's total.
The state labor department figures released Friday show the initial claims increased to 2,956 from the previous week's total of 2,835. Initial claims were below the comparable week a year earlier at 3,648.
The four-week moving average, which is a less volatile measure of claims, decreased to 2,055 from the previous week's total of 2,963.
Continued unemployment claims claimed for the week ending Aug. 25 decreased to 33,752, compared to the previous week's total of 34,464. The four-week moving average for such claims decreased to 35,167 from the previous week's average of 35,889.
Around the Nation
Out to Lunch