Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Machete-Wielding Man Attacks TSA Agents At Louis Armstrong Airport, Is Shot By Police
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
Sat October 6, 2012
Weekend series on school governance in Orleans
A group known as "OPEN" — the Orleans Parish Education Network — is beginning a series of public forums on the governance of public schools in New Orleans.
The state's Recovery School District has run most public schools in the city since Hurricane Katrina, turning most over to charter organizations.
The Orleans school board still oversees and charters a small percentage of schools, but pressure has been growing in recent years to turn more schools to return to the locally elected board.
OPEN's series of meetings were set to begin Saturday, with more forums to follow on Oct. 13, 20 and 27.