Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Sat April 17, 2010
We Love Seniors
New Orleans, LA –
Hi, this is Richard McCarthy with the WWNO Farmers Market Minute In the farmers market world, we love seniors. While a minute's not long enough to count the ways, maybe the most important is that they still cook. I mean, really cook with pots and pans. They come to market and know what to do with mustard greens and okra. For those seniors who are struggling on a fixed income and below the USDA poverty line, there's a brilliant program to help - The Federal Farmers Market Nutrition Program. Low income seniors get $24 worth of vouchers to purchase fresh fruits and vegetables from local farmers at farmers markets. While space is limited, if nothing else we encourage seniors to get themselves on the waiting list for this summer program. To find out more, log onto market umbrella dot org.
For the Farmers Market Minute, this is Richard McCarthy.