Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
Sat April 17, 2010
We Love Seniors
New Orleans, LA –
Hi, this is Richard McCarthy with the WWNO Farmers Market Minute In the farmers market world, we love seniors. While a minute's not long enough to count the ways, maybe the most important is that they still cook. I mean, really cook with pots and pans. They come to market and know what to do with mustard greens and okra. For those seniors who are struggling on a fixed income and below the USDA poverty line, there's a brilliant program to help - The Federal Farmers Market Nutrition Program. Low income seniors get $24 worth of vouchers to purchase fresh fruits and vegetables from local farmers at farmers markets. While space is limited, if nothing else we encourage seniors to get themselves on the waiting list for this summer program. To find out more, log onto market umbrella dot org.
For the Farmers Market Minute, this is Richard McCarthy.