Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Sat April 17, 2010
We Love Seniors
New Orleans, LA –
Hi, this is Richard McCarthy with the WWNO Farmers Market Minute In the farmers market world, we love seniors. While a minute's not long enough to count the ways, maybe the most important is that they still cook. I mean, really cook with pots and pans. They come to market and know what to do with mustard greens and okra. For those seniors who are struggling on a fixed income and below the USDA poverty line, there's a brilliant program to help - The Federal Farmers Market Nutrition Program. Low income seniors get $24 worth of vouchers to purchase fresh fruits and vegetables from local farmers at farmers markets. While space is limited, if nothing else we encourage seniors to get themselves on the waiting list for this summer program. To find out more, log onto market umbrella dot org.
For the Farmers Market Minute, this is Richard McCarthy.