Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
Tue March 19, 2013
WATCH: After 'Fascist' Accusations, Ukrainian Parliament Brawls
Originally published on Tue March 19, 2013 3:49 pm
You thought our politics were bad. If you need a fresh reminder that it could be worse: Official business at Ukraine's parliament was suspended for a short time, while MPs exchanged punches.
Russia Today has video:
"The brawl began with yelling over the language used in the chamber and 'fascist' accusations from both sides.
"The session was opened by the head of the ruling Party of Regions, Aleksandr Efremov, speaking in Russian, a language his opponents manifest that they strongly dislike. Ukrainian Liberty Party members made sure nobody could hear the speech by chanting 'Speak Ukrainian!' out loud and drumming with their hands against the desks."
The BBC reports that this is a bigger struggle between the politicians favored by "Russian-speaking Ukrainians in the east and south of the country" and those "in western Ukraine, where Ukrainian dominates."