Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Machete-Wielding Man Attacks TSA Agents At Louis Armstrong Airport, Is Shot By Police
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
Tue March 19, 2013
WATCH: After 'Fascist' Accusations, Ukrainian Parliament Brawls
Originally published on Tue March 19, 2013 3:49 pm
You thought our politics were bad. If you need a fresh reminder that it could be worse: Official business at Ukraine's parliament was suspended for a short time, while MPs exchanged punches.
Russia Today has video:
"The brawl began with yelling over the language used in the chamber and 'fascist' accusations from both sides.
"The session was opened by the head of the ruling Party of Regions, Aleksandr Efremov, speaking in Russian, a language his opponents manifest that they strongly dislike. Ukrainian Liberty Party members made sure nobody could hear the speech by chanting 'Speak Ukrainian!' out loud and drumming with their hands against the desks."
The BBC reports that this is a bigger struggle between the politicians favored by "Russian-speaking Ukrainians in the east and south of the country" and those "in western Ukraine, where Ukrainian dominates."