Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Mon January 9, 2012
VIDEO: Bungee Cord Snaps; Woman Survives 365-Foot Plunge
Don't press play if you're don't like heights and scary thrills. But rest assured, 22-year-old Australian Erin Langworthy survived to tell the tale after her bungee cord broke on New Year's Eve during a jump from a bridge over the Zambezi River on the border of Zambia and Zimbabwe.
She hit the water 365-feet below. Fortunately, it appears, the cord slowed her descent before it snapped. Still, Langworthy broke her collarbone — and she tells Australia's 9 News that at one point she "had to swim down and yank the bungee cord out of whatever it was caught on to make it to the surface." She also suffered extensive bruising.
Langworthy "managed to swim to the Zimbabwe side of the river after seeing it was closest," 9 News says, even though her feet were still tied to the cord.
The Associated Press video report is posted here.