Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
WWNO News Reports
Mon November 8, 2010
Vice President Biden Speaks To Jewish Federation in New Orleans
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – Vice President Biden told more than 2,000 people at the general assembly meeting that the Obama administration stands firmly with Israel.
"We are absolutely, unequivocally committed to Israeli security. Period."
At a private meeting earlier, Netanyahu told Biden that the U-S could step up the pressure on Iran to stop developing nuclear weapons. Biden says diplomatic sanctions are still working.
"We continue to seek a peaceful resolution and a hope Iranian leaders will reconsider their current destructive and debilitating course. But let me be very clear about this. We are also absolutely committed to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons."
Netanyahu is scheduled to speak to the assembly later today, and with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton later this week on the Mideast peace process.
For NPR News, I'm Eileen Fleming in New Orleans.