Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
WWNO News Reports
Mon November 8, 2010
Vice President Biden Speaks To Jewish Federation in New Orleans
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – Vice President Biden told more than 2,000 people at the general assembly meeting that the Obama administration stands firmly with Israel.
"We are absolutely, unequivocally committed to Israeli security. Period."
At a private meeting earlier, Netanyahu told Biden that the U-S could step up the pressure on Iran to stop developing nuclear weapons. Biden says diplomatic sanctions are still working.
"We continue to seek a peaceful resolution and a hope Iranian leaders will reconsider their current destructive and debilitating course. But let me be very clear about this. We are also absolutely committed to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons."
Netanyahu is scheduled to speak to the assembly later today, and with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton later this week on the Mideast peace process.
For NPR News, I'm Eileen Fleming in New Orleans.