Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
WWNO News Reports
Mon November 8, 2010
Vice President Biden Speaks To Jewish Federation in New Orleans
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – Vice President Biden told more than 2,000 people at the general assembly meeting that the Obama administration stands firmly with Israel.
"We are absolutely, unequivocally committed to Israeli security. Period."
At a private meeting earlier, Netanyahu told Biden that the U-S could step up the pressure on Iran to stop developing nuclear weapons. Biden says diplomatic sanctions are still working.
"We continue to seek a peaceful resolution and a hope Iranian leaders will reconsider their current destructive and debilitating course. But let me be very clear about this. We are also absolutely committed to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons."
Netanyahu is scheduled to speak to the assembly later today, and with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton later this week on the Mideast peace process.
For NPR News, I'm Eileen Fleming in New Orleans.