Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
Fort Polk Museum
Mon September 24, 2012
VFW in Many donates tank to Fort Polk Museum
Fort Polk has a new museum piece — a World War II-era Sherman tank.
The Town Talk reports that Veterans of Foreign Wars in Many donated the World War II M4 Sherman tank to the Fort Polk Museum. The tank was retrieved from Many by members of the 46th Engineer Battalion and 88th Brigade Support Battalion on Sept. 12.
"We don't want it to deteriorate. We want it to be a proud (part of history) that people can learn about," said Larry Perser, the VFW post commander in Many.
The tank weighs around 33.4 tons, but has been stationary for years, which made moving it no easy task.
The Fort Polk Museum plans to restore the Sherman tank and place it on display.