Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
UNO Budget Cuts
Wed August 15, 2012
UNO's $12M budget cut includes 53 faculty, staff
The University of New Orleans is cutting $12 million from its budget through a combination of early retirements and the elimination of vacant positions to offset reductions by the state.
UNO said Tuesday that about 25 faculty members and 28 staff members will be offered "incentivized retirements," and the university will eliminate 30 vacant faculty positions, five terminal faculty contracts, 26 graduate assistants and 16 non-classified staff.
UNO President Peter Fos says the moves will save the university $3.3 million.
New Orleans CityBusiness reports UNO also will outsource its bookstore if approved by the University of Louisiana Board of Supervisors to help save the school another $500,000. In addition, it plans to implement mandatory seven-day annual leave, allowing it to close buildings during spring break and to save on utilities.
LSU Athletic Department