Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
WWNO News Reports
Mon July 27, 2009
UN panel reviewing New Orleans housing problems
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – The UN Advisory Group on Forced Evictions is making its first fact-finding mission to New Orleans, meeting with residents who are in crisis. They'll be talking with the homeless, former public-housing residents and others looking at rents that have soared since Hurricane Katrina. Spokeswoman Leilani Farha explains what the experts are trying to determine.
Farha says the panel will head to Washington for discussions with officials, then present a report to the UN. She says it could then trigger international diplomatic efforts to resolve housing problems in New Orleans.