Most Active Stories
- Sarah Vowell Riffs On Satchmo, 'The Incredibles' And Andrew Jackson
- Le Show For April 13, 2014
- Battle Brewing In Holy Cross Over Proposed Highrises
- The Listening Post Asks: Should Sex Education Be Required In Louisiana Public Schools?
- Richard Campanella Cityscapes: New Orleans' Tallest, Strangest, Forgotten Building
WWNO News Reports
Thu September 15, 2011
Two Former NOPD Officers Sentenced In Raymond Robair Killing
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, LA – Former veteran officer Melvin Williams received more than 21 years for beating Raymond Robair, and dropping him off at Charity Hospital. His rookie partner at the time, Mathew Dean Moore, received almost 6 years for filing false reports and lying to investigators.
U-S Attorney Jim Letten's office handled the civil rights case, as it has in previous cases involving police. He says officers should know that they will be caught if they lie.
"The continued cover-up. The continued obstruction of justice. The continued hunkering down, and attempts to derail these investigations that are driven by the code of silence, continues to make these cases worse."
The former officers have denied beating Robair. They say he was injured when he fell down while running away.