Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
WWNO News Reports
Thu September 15, 2011
Two Former NOPD Officers Sentenced In Raymond Robair Killing
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, LA – Former veteran officer Melvin Williams received more than 21 years for beating Raymond Robair, and dropping him off at Charity Hospital. His rookie partner at the time, Mathew Dean Moore, received almost 6 years for filing false reports and lying to investigators.
U-S Attorney Jim Letten's office handled the civil rights case, as it has in previous cases involving police. He says officers should know that they will be caught if they lie.
"The continued cover-up. The continued obstruction of justice. The continued hunkering down, and attempts to derail these investigations that are driven by the code of silence, continues to make these cases worse."
The former officers have denied beating Robair. They say he was injured when he fell down while running away.