Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
WWNO News Reports
Thu September 15, 2011
Two Former NOPD Officers Sentenced In Raymond Robair Killing
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, LA – Former veteran officer Melvin Williams received more than 21 years for beating Raymond Robair, and dropping him off at Charity Hospital. His rookie partner at the time, Mathew Dean Moore, received almost 6 years for filing false reports and lying to investigators.
U-S Attorney Jim Letten's office handled the civil rights case, as it has in previous cases involving police. He says officers should know that they will be caught if they lie.
"The continued cover-up. The continued obstruction of justice. The continued hunkering down, and attempts to derail these investigations that are driven by the code of silence, continues to make these cases worse."
The former officers have denied beating Robair. They say he was injured when he fell down while running away.