Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Wed May 9, 2012
Time to Celebrate Mother's Day
Uncle Martin’s Creamed Spinach (serves 6)
By: Randy Fertel, from Louisiana Kitchen magazine
3 pounds frozen spinach (plus 1 bag fresh baby spinach, if desired)
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup flour
1 1/12 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 quart half & half (or whole or 2% if a lighter dish is desired)
Thaw spinach thoroughly and cook in boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain, pressing water from spinach.
Melt butter in a large heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, set over medium heat. Add flour and whish constantly until a light roux is achieved, about 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in half of the half & half, blending thoroughly. Season with salt and white pepper. Stir in spinach, the remaining half & half, and nutmeg. Heat thoroughly.
And don't forget to enter our Culinary Quiz!