Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
Wed May 9, 2012
Time to Celebrate Mother's Day
Uncle Martin’s Creamed Spinach (serves 6)
By: Randy Fertel, from Louisiana Kitchen magazine
3 pounds frozen spinach (plus 1 bag fresh baby spinach, if desired)
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup flour
1 1/12 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 quart half & half (or whole or 2% if a lighter dish is desired)
Thaw spinach thoroughly and cook in boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain, pressing water from spinach.
Melt butter in a large heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, set over medium heat. Add flour and whish constantly until a light roux is achieved, about 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in half of the half & half, blending thoroughly. Season with salt and white pepper. Stir in spinach, the remaining half & half, and nutmeg. Heat thoroughly.
And don't forget to enter our Culinary Quiz!