Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Machete-Wielding Man Attacks TSA Agents At Louis Armstrong Airport, Is Shot By Police
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
Thu August 8, 2013
These Are Some Views Of Inflatable Things
Originally published on Thu August 8, 2013 10:47 am
For $50,000, The Associated Press reports, you can stay for a night in an inflatable hotel room — suspended atop a 22-foot-high scissor lift.
Americans love inflatable objects. From hot air balloons to the suggestion of an inflatable car, the idea of taking something flat and still and breathing "life" into it holds a sort of Frankensteinian fascination for folks.
Mulling over all the myriad things we can blow up led us for some reason to put the idea to song. The result is a news list, sung to the Rodgers and Hammerstein tune of "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music:
Kiddie pools, kayaks,
Hotel rooms for living.
Moon bounces, sex dolls,
Falloons at Thanksgiving.
Air dancers, snow globes,
Blowup swim rings --
These are some views of inflatable things ...
The Protojournalist: Experimental storytelling for the LURVers – Listeners, Users, Readers, Viewers – of NPR. Join in: @NPRtpj