Most Active Stories
- Sarah Vowell Riffs On Satchmo, 'The Incredibles' And Andrew Jackson
- Le Show For April 13, 2014
- Battle Brewing In Holy Cross Over Proposed Highrises
- The Listening Post Asks: Should Sex Education Be Required In Louisiana Public Schools?
- Richard Campanella Cityscapes: New Orleans' Tallest, Strangest, Forgotten Building
Thu August 8, 2013
These Are Some Views Of Inflatable Things
Originally published on Thu August 8, 2013 10:47 am
For $50,000, The Associated Press reports, you can stay for a night in an inflatable hotel room — suspended atop a 22-foot-high scissor lift.
Americans love inflatable objects. From hot air balloons to the suggestion of an inflatable car, the idea of taking something flat and still and breathing "life" into it holds a sort of Frankensteinian fascination for folks.
Mulling over all the myriad things we can blow up led us for some reason to put the idea to song. The result is a news list, sung to the Rodgers and Hammerstein tune of "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music:
Kiddie pools, kayaks,
Hotel rooms for living.
Moon bounces, sex dolls,
Falloons at Thanksgiving.
Air dancers, snow globes,
Blowup swim rings --
These are some views of inflatable things ...
The Protojournalist: Experimental storytelling for the LURVers – Listeners, Users, Readers, Viewers – of NPR. Join in: @NPRtpj