Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Tue June 12, 2012
Thai Melon Salad
Raising the Salad Bar by Catherine Walthers (Lake Isle Press 2007) remains one of my favorite salad books years after its publication. This melon salad, which I just discovered, is embarrassingly, thoroughly addictive. Go for dry-roasted salted peanuts — the ones where the salt falls right off in your fingers in a powder. The saltiness just makes the melons taste more sweet. If you have three varieties of melon, use them. I only used watermelon and honeydew because that's what I had on hand, and they were phenomenal just like that.
Makes 2 servings
About 3 cups of 3 varieties of melon, cut into 1/2-inch dice
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Juice of 1/2 lime
Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
Chopped unsalted dry-roasted peanuts, for garnish
In a large bowl, combine the diced melons. Add a small pinch of cayenne and lime juice to taste.
Top with the chopped cilantro and peanuts and serve.