Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Sat May 7, 2011
Tchaikovsky's birthday dish
New Orleans, LA – Did you know that today is composer Peter Tchaikovsky's birthday? He would have been 171 years old. If here were still here, I have a hunch that he'd be requesting his favorite Russian fish pie for dinner. Have you ever had Kulebiaka? Brought to Russia by French chefs after the War of 1812, this creamy pie features hard-boiled eggs, fish, mushrooms, and brioche or puff pastry. With wild catfish running, eggs laying, and mushrooms popping, why not celebrate Tchaikovsky's birthday with a Gulf Coast version of Kulebiaka? In Russia, salmon or the ancient sturgeon tends to be the fish of choice. Here, why not consider Des Allemands catfish, sheepshead, or drum? All are being harvested by local commercial fishermen. For the recipe, log onto wwno dot org. For the Farmers Market Minute, this is Richard McCarthy.