Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
- Fishermen And Retailers Go High-Tech For Authentic Gulf Seafood
Fri January 18, 2013
Tangipahoa Panel Calls for District Elimination
The Tangipahoa Parish Council has voted unanimously to take whatever steps are necessary to dissolve the Tangipahoa Parish Economic Development District, which has not been fully functional or met in the past several years.
The Advocate reports the council passed a resolution Monday requesting that the parish's legislative delegation petition the Legislature to dissolve the board after learning in a letter from attorney Cliff Speed that because the board was created by the Legislature only that body could cause its elimination.
Parish Councilman Carlo Bruno, in calling for abolition of the board, said two boards were assigned to perform the same tasks. The other entity charged with economic development, the Tangipahoa Industrial Development Board, is functioning and promoting businesses in the parish.
Sicilian Heritage Festival