Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Mon September 24, 2012
Tangipahoa adds school day because of Isaac
Tangipahoa Parish public schools students will see a day added to the school year to make up days missed because of Hurricane Isaac.
The Daily Star reports the School Board voted this past week to extend the school year through May 24. The last day for teachers will not change, Superintendent Mark Kolwe said.
Teachers were surveyed about whether to cut days from the Mardi Gras break or to add instructional minutes to regular school days to make up the time missed, and they voted overwhelmingly to add minutes, Kolwe said. Beginning Oct. 1, each school will add five instruction minutes, which won't modify the school calendar.
Andre Perry Commentary