Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Wed January 26, 2011
A Tale of Two Companies
Mulligatawny Soup (Serves 6 - 8)
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 carrot, diced
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon curry powder
4 cups chicken broth
1 Granny Smith apple cored and chopped, with the peel on
1/2 cup, cooked white rice
1 cup cooked, diced chicken
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 cup heavy cream
In a large, heavy soup pot, melt the butter. Add the onions, celery and carrot and saute until soft and translucent. Sprinkle on flour and curry powder and saute for another 5 minutes. Stir in chicken stock. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes. Add apple, chicken, rice, thyme, salt and pepper and cook for another 15 minutes.
Just before serving, stir in heavy cream.
**Note - once cream has been added, the soup can never be boiled again or the cream will curdle.