Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
Wed January 26, 2011
A Tale of Two Companies
Mulligatawny Soup (Serves 6 - 8)
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 carrot, diced
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon curry powder
4 cups chicken broth
1 Granny Smith apple cored and chopped, with the peel on
1/2 cup, cooked white rice
1 cup cooked, diced chicken
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 cup heavy cream
In a large, heavy soup pot, melt the butter. Add the onions, celery and carrot and saute until soft and translucent. Sprinkle on flour and curry powder and saute for another 5 minutes. Stir in chicken stock. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes. Add apple, chicken, rice, thyme, salt and pepper and cook for another 15 minutes.
Just before serving, stir in heavy cream.
**Note - once cream has been added, the soup can never be boiled again or the cream will curdle.