Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Gulf Oil Spill
Fri June 11, 2010
Supply Vessel Accident Halts Clean-up
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – The Coast Guard says 120 vessels and 800 workers were pulled off the clean-up operations after the supply ship hit the platform Friday morning. Three dozen people on board the ship were treated but there were no life-threatening injuries One was airlifted to a local hospital. The Coast Guard says all 800 workers were given additional safety training after the accident, and more sessions will be conducted before operations are allowed to resume. The affected area includes wetlands that have been contaminated by oil seeping in from the Gulf of Mexico. Cause of the collision is under investigation.
For NPR News, I'm Eileen Fleming in New Orleans.