Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
13.7: Cosmos And Culture
Sun May 27, 2012
Sunday Morning Thermodynamics
Originally published on Tue May 29, 2012 6:30 am
Sunday morning and a young man's thoughts turn to the paper, a mountain bike ride and — of course — thermodynamics.
"In everyday language heat is both a noun and a verb. Heat flows, we heat. In thermodynamics heat is not an entity or even a form of energy: heat is a mode of energy transfer Heat is the transfer of energy by virtue of a temperature difference. Heat is the name of a process, not the name of an entity."
Take that, common usage!