Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
WWNO News Reports
Thu February 18, 2010
Streetcar Extension Wins Funding
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – The city and the Regional Transit Authority will be getting $45 million dollars to build a streetcar line on Loyola Avenue from the Union Passenger Terminal to Canal Street. The money is coming from the Recovery Act aimed at developing projects that benefit regional systems.
Secretary Ray LaHood came to New Orleans in December to announce $280 million dollars would be available nationally.
Mayor Ray Nagin says the city is applying for money from several sources to expand from the French Quarter to Press Street, and from Canal Street upriver along Convention Center Boulevard.