Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
Thu April 29, 2010
StoryCorps: Rebuilding the Lower 9th
This conversation was recorded March 19th. In this segment of the StoryCorps recordings, a Common Ground volunteer talks with two residents of the Lower Ninth Ward about how the community is coping with rebuilding.
Nick Karel speaks with J.F. "Smitty" Smith and Ward "Mac" McClendon about how a close relationship evolved between the volunteers and the residents.
ALSO: In this extended version of the conversation, volunteer Kyle Ingebretson joins a discussion of the history of the lower 9th ward.
StoryCorps New Orleans interviews were recorded by StoryCorps, a national project to record and collect stories of everyday people. This excerpt was selected and produced by WWNO producer Eileen Fleming, with support from the WWNO Productions Fund and from Villere & Co., managing the investments of New Orleans' families for almost 100 years. Listen again at wwno.org or at nola.com.