Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Thu April 29, 2010
StoryCorps: Rebuilding the Lower 9th
This conversation was recorded March 19th. In this segment of the StoryCorps recordings, a Common Ground volunteer talks with two residents of the Lower Ninth Ward about how the community is coping with rebuilding.
Nick Karel speaks with J.F. "Smitty" Smith and Ward "Mac" McClendon about how a close relationship evolved between the volunteers and the residents.
ALSO: In this extended version of the conversation, volunteer Kyle Ingebretson joins a discussion of the history of the lower 9th ward.
StoryCorps New Orleans interviews were recorded by StoryCorps, a national project to record and collect stories of everyday people. This excerpt was selected and produced by WWNO producer Eileen Fleming, with support from the WWNO Productions Fund and from Villere & Co., managing the investments of New Orleans' families for almost 100 years. Listen again at wwno.org or at nola.com.