State Transportation Department Releases Winter Storm Road Plan
The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development has released its response plan for the winter storm threatening much of the state.
The plan details the roads and bridges DOTD will attempt to keep clear. However, as all storms are dynamic events, DOTD says the following information may be adjusted depending on changing conditions.
DOTD will commit resources to keep the following roads open:
- I-10 from the Mississippi Line State line to I-12
- I-12 from Slidell to Airline Hwy.
- US 61 to US 190 Mississippi Bridge
- US 190 from the Huey P. Long Bridge in Baton Rouge to Opelousas
- I-49 from Lafayette to Shreveport
- I-10 from Lafayette to Texas
- Baton Rouge to New Orleans US 61
- I-55 from I-12 to Mississippi
- I-59 from I-12 to Mississippi
If roadway starts freezing, the National Guard will be staged with graders in Lafayette and Hammond to plow the roadways.
DOTD is focused on keeping the following bridges open:
- Sunshine Bridge
- Old Bridge in Baton Rouge
- Luling Bridge
- Huey P. Long Bridge in New Orleans
- The Crescent City Connection Bridge in New Orleans
Starting tomorrow, on I-10 from Lafayette to Slidell, DOTD expects to start closing portions of the roadway, including the Horace Wilkinson Bridge and the Twin Spans.
- DOTD expects to close the Audubon Bridge
- DOTD expects to start closing portions of US 90 from Lafayette to New Orleans starting tomorrow
- DOTD is going to keep the Plaquemines Ferry open
- DOTD has contacted the Louisiana trucking industry to remind them of possible weather and using alternate routes, such as I-20
Motorists can use the department's 511la.org website for updated traffic information.