Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
Wed August 14, 2013
State Police Kill Man Holding Hostages In St. Joseph Bank; One Hostage Killed
Louisiana police shot and killed a man they say shot two hostages inside a bank. One of the hostages was killed.
Louisiana state police say the suspect planned the attack on the bank in the small community of St. Joseph, about 200 miles from New Orleans. They say he’d written a letter detailing the assault, which was not a robbery.
After a 12-hour standoff, police stormed inside. The 20-year-old gunman shot two hostages before he was shot and killed. The other hostage was taken to a hospital. Another had been freed before the gun battle.
Police identified the suspect as Abdo Ahmed. His family runs a service station near the bank. Police say the man believed he had a device planted in his brain and he heard voices. They’re investigating why he targeted the bank.