Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Wed September 19, 2012
State extends east zone alligator season
State wildlife and fisheries officials have extended the East Zone wild alligator harvest season through Oct. 4.
Robert Barham, secretary of the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, approved the extension Tuesday.
The scheduled opening of the East Zone season was delayed from Aug. 29 until Sept. 1 due to the approach of Tropical Storm Isaac, which reached hurricane strength before landfall. Resulting flooding and displacement of residents prompted the extension.
The East Zone is now scheduled to close on the same day as the West Zone, which opened Sept. 5.