Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Sat March 2, 2013
State Dept. of Health and Hospitals Says Employee Misused $800K
State health officials say more than $800,000 in public money allegedly has been misappropriated by a Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals employee.
The Times-Picayune reports DHH said the theft was uncovered during an internal investigation. DHH's Bureau of Health Care Integrity began the probe after officials noticed unusual accounting practices involving the employee, whose name has not been released.
DHH says the employee allegedly deposited checks to the department into a non-DHH account and then withdrew the money for personal use. The worker has been put on leave and the DHH is taking steps toward terminating the employee. DHH also will work to recover the funds.
The East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney and the state Legislative Auditor's Office were notified of the alleged theft Friday.