Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
Sat March 2, 2013
State Dept. of Health and Hospitals Says Employee Misused $800K
State health officials say more than $800,000 in public money allegedly has been misappropriated by a Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals employee.
The Times-Picayune reports DHH said the theft was uncovered during an internal investigation. DHH's Bureau of Health Care Integrity began the probe after officials noticed unusual accounting practices involving the employee, whose name has not been released.
DHH says the employee allegedly deposited checks to the department into a non-DHH account and then withdrew the money for personal use. The worker has been put on leave and the DHH is taking steps toward terminating the employee. DHH also will work to recover the funds.
The East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney and the state Legislative Auditor's Office were notified of the alleged theft Friday.