Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Fri September 7, 2012
State closes last medical shelter after Isaac
The state's last medical special needs shelter, opened before Hurricane Isaac, has been closed.
State officials say the shelter at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in New Orleans closed Wednesday, after the shelter's final patient was discharged.
During the height of Isaac, Louisiana operated five special needs shelters at LSU in Baton Rouge and Southeastern Louisiana University in Hammond, in Alexandria and Bossier and at the Morial Convention Center.
Officials say the special needs shelters provided care to more than 400 residents with complex medical needs that didn't require hospitalization but made them ineligible for a general shelter.
New Orleans Museum of Art