Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
State Capitol Renovations
Sat July 14, 2012
State Capitol gets a facelift
The closing of the Legislature in June was just the beginning for construction crews at the state Capitol.
The Advocate reports workers are ripping up floors, breaking through walls and removing ceilings to give the 80-year-old building a facelift.
The work is expected to be completed in January 2013.
A $14.7 million upgrading of the heating and air conditioning system is well under way as is a $1.4 million project to repair the breezeway under the Capitol's front steps.
The Capitol was authorized under Gov. Huey P. Long and opened in March 1932.