Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
State Capitol Renovations
Sat July 14, 2012
State Capitol gets a facelift
The closing of the Legislature in June was just the beginning for construction crews at the state Capitol.
The Advocate reports workers are ripping up floors, breaking through walls and removing ceilings to give the 80-year-old building a facelift.
The work is expected to be completed in January 2013.
A $14.7 million upgrading of the heating and air conditioning system is well under way as is a $1.4 million project to repair the breezeway under the Capitol's front steps.
The Capitol was authorized under Gov. Huey P. Long and opened in March 1932.