Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
Mon August 6, 2012
State auditor takes second look at Jefferson Parish health clinics
The Louisiana Legislative Auditor says a second review of financial records at Jefferson Community Healthcare Centers has uncovered illegal use of public money and transactions involving former Jefferson Parish Councilman Byron Lee and his family.
The auditor found that more than $200,000 in clinic funds was transferred the personal bank account of former chief financial officer Ebony Williams and that $135,000 in public money was used for unearned benefits as well as political donations, a for-profit business investment and a Christmas party.
The report said that $1,000 in clinic funds were transferred to Lee's political campaign in violation of state law.
The Times-Picayune reports Williams was terminated after the Legislative Auditor issued a report in January 2010 and Chief Executive Officer, Carol Smith, resigned.