Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
WWNO News Reports
Wed August 31, 2011
Smaller Of Two Marsh Fires Extinguished
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, LA – Mayor Mitch Landrieu says the smaller fire has been extinguished, thanks to Louisiana National Guard flights dropping water on the blaze. But he says an investigator with the state agriculture department suspects it could have been started by someone. Landrieu says the major fire was sparked by lightning strikes.
"We didn't have any of that in the last couple of weeks. And his best guess - and it's just a guess at this point - plus the proximity to the road, made it easily accessible."
About 200 people have sought treatment in New Orleans hospitals for breathing problems. Landrieu says rain expected Thursday afternoon should put out the main fire that's burned about 1,500 acres.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming.