Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Tue August 14, 2012
Sign-up period for Nov. 6 election runs this week
It's decision-time for anyone still on the fence about jumping into a race for Louisiana's Nov. 6 election.
Candidates must file paperwork this week if they want to run for office. Qualifying starts Wednesday morning and runs through Friday at 5 p.m.
Top of the ballot around the state will be Louisiana's six U.S. House seats, including one race between two Republican incumbents — Charles Boustany and Jeff Landry — who were forced into the same district when the state lost a congressional seat because of population adjustments.
Also getting attention are two positions on the Louisiana Supreme Court, including a hotly-contested seat in the Baton Rouge area that is vacant because the chief justice is retiring, and a post on the state's utility regulatory agency representing south central Louisiana.