Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
New Orleans Mail Center
Thu February 23, 2012
Senator Landrieu Vows Fight over Closure of New Orleans Mail Center
Public officials in Louisiana are vowing a fight over plans to close a New Orleans processing center of the U.S. Postal Service. The loss of 800 jobs is a major hit to the city’s economy.
Louisiana Democratic Senator Mary Landrieu says the postal center is in a city neighborhood about to re-emerge from Hurricane Katrina damage.
“This particular area in downtown New Orleans, you know, with the redevelopment of the Hyatt, the streetcar that’s going by. It’s really a very unfortunate time to have to think about losing these jobs in that area.”
She says she’s optimistic the cutbacks can be reduced when the proposal is reviewed by Congress in May.