Most Active Stories
- Le Show For April 13, 2014
- Sarah Vowell Riffs On Satchmo, 'The Incredibles' And Andrew Jackson
- Barataria Bay, 4 Years After The Deepwater Horizon Disaster
- The Listening Post Asks: Should Sex Education Be Required In Louisiana Public Schools?
- Richard Campanella Cityscapes: New Orleans' Tallest, Strangest, Forgotten Building
New Orleans Mail Center
Thu February 23, 2012
Senator Landrieu Vows Fight over Closure of New Orleans Mail Center
Public officials in Louisiana are vowing a fight over plans to close a New Orleans processing center of the U.S. Postal Service. The loss of 800 jobs is a major hit to the city’s economy.
Louisiana Democratic Senator Mary Landrieu says the postal center is in a city neighborhood about to re-emerge from Hurricane Katrina damage.
“This particular area in downtown New Orleans, you know, with the redevelopment of the Hyatt, the streetcar that’s going by. It’s really a very unfortunate time to have to think about losing these jobs in that area.”
She says she’s optimistic the cutbacks can be reduced when the proposal is reviewed by Congress in May.